JUSTICE FOR SAMOA
“Ensuring a Safer and Resilient Society”
“Excellence in delivering Accessible, Fair and Modern Justice Services for All”
“Integrity, Courage, Accountability, Respect & Empowerment”
Who We Are
MJCA prides itself in its leadership, institutional strength and credibility of the organisation through its people, stakeholders and partners. Together with other Law and Justice Sector agencies, we work tirelessly to promote and safeguard human rights, promote societies based on justice and the rule of law, promote peace and security in our communities, and protect and promote the livelihoods of our Samoan people. Most importantly, we exist to serve and provide administrative support to the Courts in the best of our abilities.
Our Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Providing sound policy advice to government through the Minister. The Ministry facilitates input from the public to the justice system in the development of justice-related legislation, and communicates to the public, on behalf of the Government, the intent and implementation requirements of new legislations;
- Providing judicial support through the administration, case management, technology, human resource support, and funding for judicial training and development. The Ministry looks at improving court processes and service design through joint Ministry-judicial efforts;
- Leading the Law and Justice Sector through the Law and Justice Sector Secretariat by providing advice, coordinating and leading sector projects and activities, managing planning and budgeting process, at the same time report on sector’s outcomes;
- Providing registry services, claims administration, research services, hearings management;
- Provision of quality censoring services including awareness and enforcement responsibilities;
- Providing quality information and reporting for Courts sentencing and management of community based sentences;
- Facilitating mediation for matters of maintenance, custody and affiliation, including any related prosecution and monitoring in the interest of child and family safety, court annexed on civil and criminal matters, plus facilitation of mediation for land and title disputes;
- Management and processing of cases for Lands and Titles Court and Registration of Matai titles;
- Resolving court-imposed monetary penalties and infringement fines, and collection of fines; and
- Support and corporate functions to include human resource management, information and communications technology, digitisation and records management, court security, project management, finance management, planning and reporting, and facilities and office management.
Our Values and Principles
We will demonstrate and offer absolute impartial services to all members of the public without regard to their wealth or social standing. The enforcement of legislations, the services we deliver, the decisions we make and all the actions we undertake will be fair and uniform to ensure that the public receive equal treatment, endure and enjoy equal justice under the law.
We will adhere to the highest standards of ethical behavior, moral uprightness, and committed with all truth and honesty to the mandated functions of the organisation. Our motives and actions must be beyond reproach in all our dealings with the public and stakeholders.
In all that we do, we will respect the worth and dignity of each and every person we serve with fairness, dignity, and compassion. We will also treat each other in this organisation with respect.
The operations and services of MJCA are appropriate and affordable, enabling equal access by all the people of Samoa
The operations and services of MJCA are appropriate and affordable, enabling equal access by all the people of Samoa.
We believe in the idea that giving employees skills, resources, authority, opportunity, motivation, as well as holding them responsible and accountable for outcome of their actions will increase their level of competence and satisfaction
We will be innovative in our dealings and approaches in delivering our services. We will use advancements in technology and other ways to test alternatives to find the best solutions.
Being able to explain the reason for actions taken, and taking responsibility for those actions.
We are not isolated in our operations. We will maintain existing partners and create new strategic partnership to maximize opportunities, meet expected public value and achieve the desired goals and results of this organisation. We will network, coordinate, cooperate and collaborate effectively to strengthen our relationships. We will focus on improving the experience of end users.